TOGETHER WE ARE PREPARED
Commit a few of hours or the entire day and join others throughout the nation making communities a safer place to live. Challenge your neighbourhood, friends, family members, co-workers, community service group, youth organization, club or any other eligible group to create a project and accomplish something great together!
Efforts will raise community wildfire
Is your community working towards to becoming nationally recognized through the FireSmart Canada Community Recognition Program? Use this day as your FireSmart Day and enter to win $500 for use towards it!
Here are some project ideas that will get you thinking, or come up with your own that will work best for your community! CLICK HERE TO READ MORE
· Host a FireSmart Community Champion Workshop for your neighbourhood; invite surrounding neighbourhoods
· Hold your neighbourhoods’ first FireSmart Board meeting or FireSmart Day
· Perform individual FireSmart Wildfire Hazard Assessments on some of the homes in your community
· Clear leaves, pine needles and combustible debris from the roofs and gutters of the neighbourhood homes
· Sweep porches and decks clearing them of leaves, pine needles and combustible debris
· Prune low-hanging tree branches up to a height of 2 metres
· Remove combustible items stored under decks and porches
· Ensure all the address numbers of all neighbourhood homes are visible form the street
· Build or update 72-hour kits for each family in the neighbourhood
· Develop a phone/text tree that can be used for fire evacuation alerts
· Work with local emergency management authorities to develop and practice a neighbourhood evacuation plan
· Invite a horticulturist to review the FireSmart Guide to Landscaping with you and your neighbours and suggest which types of FireSmart plants might work best in your neighbourhood
APPLY NOW!! Click here to read the official rules, then CLICK HERE TO APPLY
The deadline is Tuesday, March 21, 2017 11:59pm MT. A panel will review applications and select up to 20 project award recipients.
For more information on FireSmart Canada visit www.firesmartcanada.ca